About Our Area
The Village is located in Smithfield, Rhode Island. Many sections of Smithfield have their own distinct names, they include Esmond, Greenville, Spragueville, Mountaindale, Georgiaville and Stillwater. These village names grew out of the several mill villages that were established in the middle 1800's.
Smithfield is home to some of the most beautiful lakes and wilderness in Northern Rhode Island. Smithfield also boasts being home to Bryant University, Fidelity Investment's Regional Office, and the bustling new shopping Plaza, Smithfield Crossings (located approximately 5 miles from the Village). The Crossings includes anchor stores such as Home Depot, Target, Kohl's, Dave's Marketplace and Dick's Sporting Goods. Other shops include Ann Taylor Loft, Bath and Body, Old Navy, Yankee Candle, Michael's, Staples, Chicos, Barnes & Noble, and Claire's.
Here are some links and further info about our area:
(The following are examples of some of the many local eateries located in our area and are listed in order of proximity to The Village)
Along Route 44
- Powder Mill Creamery
- The Country Kitchen
- Newport Creamery
- Greenville Inn
- La Cucina
- Siena Restaurant
In Apple Valley Center
- Such a Bagel
- Papa Gino's
- Hoho's Chinese Restaurant
In Smithfield Crossings
- Pizzeria Uno
Nearby Points of Interest
The official web site of the Smith-Appleby House Museum on Stillwater Rd. The house dates back to 1696. The site contains an extensive history of the Smith-Appleby House with several vintage pictures.
(copy courtesy of Smithfield Conservation Commission)
Access: Enter off Putnam Pike (Route 44) at the sign for The Village at Waterman Lake, at the western edge of Greenville, across from West Greenville Road. This entrance is Mapleville Road and also known as Pig Road to some long-time residents. Park at the end of the paved roadway (do not take the forks that go up to the left).
Conservation Area Features
A seasonal brook and small waterfall, immense boulders and rock outcroppings, a walking trail, tall trees, a four fireplace chimney remaining from another era.
This 27-acre property, among the newest town conservation areas, is named for a lovely, gurgling little brook that cascades down a ledge in all but the driest seasons. A 1mile blue blazed walking trail loops through the open, rocky forest, taking visitors to property's high spots, both literally and figuratively. The brook and small waterfall are the place's best features, along with massive outcroppings and ledges, several stone walls and numerous stately trees.
Along the trail, which begins a few yards beyond the end of the paved road and forks at the waterfall, are many indications that this woodland has been used by groups over the years. Included is a chimney with fireplaces on all four sides, a remainder of a picnic area built for children of a former orphanage that once owned the land. In addition to the blazed trail, other paths also run through the forest but most quickly run off town property. Be careful on the trail: some of the rocky slopes can be slippery in snowy or wet conditions.
This place is particularly pleasant to visit in the spring, when the brook is running freely, and in autumn, when the oaks, beeches, maples and other trees offer their most colorful foliage.